The absolute best recipe for a Vegetarian Bolognese Supreme:
– 1 lb. (450g) whole wheat spaghetti
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 red bell pepper, chopped
– 1 green bell pepper, chopped
– 1 zucchini, chopped
– 8 oz. (225g) mushrooms, sliced
– 1 can (28 oz./ 800g) crushed tomatoes
– 1 can (6 oz./ 170g) tomato paste
– 2 tbsp. olive oil
– 2 tsp. dried oregano
– 2 tsp. dried basil
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast for garnish
1. Cook the whole wheat spaghetti according to package instructions.
2. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
3. Add the red and green bell peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
4. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and pepper. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
5. Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Serve the vegetarian Bolognese sauce over the cooked whole wheat spaghetti.
7. Garnish with Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast, if desired.
8. Enjoy your delicious Vegetarian Bolognese Supreme!
This recipe is a healthy and flavorful alternative to traditional Bolognese sauce, and it's packed with nutrients from the variety of colorful vegetables.